Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Beverly Cleary Audio Collections

I'm a huge fan of Beverly Cleary. Her wonderful stories about the joys and trials of everyday childhood life are as relevant today as they were during the 1950's and 60's when they were originally published.  Cleary describes the emotions of her characters in so familiar a way we can remember exactly how it felt to be in that place, at that age.  I'm also obsessed with audio books which is why this post focuses on the audio collections of Ms. Cleary's books.  The whole family will be mesmerized listening to the extremely well performed audio editions of this classic series.



                     


Stockard Channing truly does an amazing job of bringing the timeless story of Ramona Quimby to life. Her performance of the varied characters from teachers to parents are spot on.  I love the way she changes Ramona's voice in each book from Ramona the Pest to Ramona Forever --you can hear Ramona getting older.  My kids have listened to this entire series of books twice.



We just started listening to the Henry Huggins series on audio book and I must now sing its praises!  The Ramona series was so wonderfully read by Stockard Channing that I that wasn't sure what to expect for the Henry Huggins series.  Imagine my delight when I found out  it's performed by none other than Neil Patrick Harris.  Two delightful timeless series read by two amazing actors!

To read about why I love audio books!


No comments:

Post a Comment